Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cobb Hill, Hancock, NH - August 12, 2010

Was looking online last night for recently placed geocaches near home and found a couple that had yet to be found over in Hancock on Cobb Hill which is about 30 minutes away.  Given the close proximity, the chance to be the first to find the caches and the fact that it is only a 1.2 mile hike up I got up early this morning and did a quick hike. 

Arrived at the trail head at about 6:50 AM greeted by some very obnoxious and loud dogs.  Their owner was out walking them but I had to put up with the barking until I got up the trail out of site.  The first cache was right at the parking area but I let it be in order to get away from the dogs.

The trail follows an old road before turning left and heading up the hill.  Passed a bog and tried to keep quiet, good chance of seeing some wildlife this early in the morning but saw no moose nor deer - probably heard me coming if they were nearby.  Quiet morning with only the sounds of the birds.  Came to one area and startled several pheasants as they flew up out of the sea of ferns.  When I came back down to this same spot a couple more took off, must be where they hang out.   The trail is very lightly traveled, so much so that if not for the very frequently placed white disks on the trees I would have lost the trail.  It looked more like a deer run than a trail in some places.  But that is fine with me, that means less people! 
Sea of ferns, trail goes right through - can barely make out white circle on some trees marking the way
The trail then meets up with another old road, and stone walls around.  I always wonder what it was like 100+ years ago when these roads were built and what they were used for as well as the stone walls - both of which are now accessible only by foot.  After a short jaunt down part of that old road the trail turns right and heads up to the viewpoint.
Where the trail leaves the road approaching the viewpoint.  Sign says Jane Greene Trail, I thought (and the map said) I was on the Cobb Hill Trail - oh well, still got to my destination.

Not long after the trail left the road I reached the view, and what a very nice view of Monadnock and Skatukakee lake.  The cache was about 100 feet behind which I found very easily.  Was the first to find it and grabbed the geocoin which was not yet activated - 1st one of those I have had.  Returned to the view, sat down and ate my breakfast while gazing at Monadnock.  Before winter comes I want to take Alex up, we're just never home on weekends it seems!


Southerly view of Monadnock and Skatukakee Lake
After eating I headed back down, ran part of the way and got back to the truck and look for cache#2 which was hidden nearby.  Found it quickly, also first to find and sign the logbook, listened to more crazy dog barking and headed back home.  Hike took about 1.5 hours including the rest and eating at the top and made it back home by 9am to start working.  Not a bad morning!

This was on land that is cared for by the Harris Center for Conservation and there is a whole network of trails located in the area.  This is yet another local place to hike that I had not previously been aware of that I found thanks to geocaching and will have to return with the whole family one of these days to explore more of this trail as well as others.

No comments:

Post a Comment