Saturday, July 31, 2010

Champney Falls - July 31, 2010

After our North Pack Monadnock hike a couple weeks ago the desire to hike more and more has only grown.  We made another trip to EMS and even Denise got the bug a little bit and bought a new pair of hiking boots and socks.  We picked up some better hiking clothes (non-cotton), a small camelback for Alex which he was very excited about and 2 hydration pack bladders.  One for my daypack and one for the child carrier.  I also picked up a compass for Alex and taught him how to use it.  Which as usual, he understood immediately.  So at least we looked the part now!

We headed up to the White Mountains on Friday with a plan to find a campsite on the Kanc for Friday and return Monday.  Even though we arrived at 3pm, every single campsite was full and we had no idea where we were going to stay.  Called up a half dozen private campgrounds and finally found a site at Cove Camping Area on Conway Lake which we had been to several times.  Although with this short notice we had probably the worst site there right next to the road, store/rec house, and bathroom.  But a bad night of camping is better than a good day at home!

I had mapped out several possible trip options including some easy hikes for Sat. and a long hike for Sunday.  We decided to do a Champney Falls and arrived to find the trail head parking lot overflowing.  Unfortunately as we were double checking the gear we had forgotten to bring any diapers for Ethan.  The campsite was a half hour drive back and it was already noon and we did not have time to go back and get some.  I debated to find a bunch of Moose Maple leaves but decided against it.  So Denise left Alex and I to hike the trial while she headed back to camp and planned on picking us back up in 2.5 hours which was the book time for the trip.

Alex and I headed up the trail and only saw 687 people for the first 50 feet or so.  Alex asked every dog owner, "Is he friendly?".   And would then pet them if they were, which I think all but one was.   Alex of course made friends with not only the first 687 people we encountered on the trial, but the other 5,698 we met that day as well.  Saw one guy playing a harmonica and Alex wanted to take out his whistle to show the guy how that sounded.

This time, my plan was to let Alex control the pace completely and stop as often and long as he wanted.  Weather forecast was for perfect weather and even though we had a late start I knew we were going to have plenty of time to complete the hike if Alex was willing.  We were still extremely slow getting up, not arriving to the top of the falls until around 2:30.  (unknown to me at the time Denise had already been waiting for a half hour at the parking lot).  We were slow not because Alex was tired and hungry but more so because he had to climb every rock, look at every tree, play with every frog, talk to every person, etc. etc.  Which was all great - if even a little annoying at times as I was watching the clock tick tick tick away.    The falls this time of year were as impressive if we had done the hike in the spring I am sure, but still pretty neat.

We had our sandwiches sitting on a rock at the top of the falls with a great view north.  We saw an interesting peak and I took out our map and showed Alex how to orient it to figure out what peak it was.  Turned out to be Mt Willey and Alex almost remembered how to orient the map himself from when I first showed him several days earlier.  During the trip he would take out his compass and tell me, "we are going 160" - which means our heading was 160 degrees.  And he was always right on!

After exploring the falls we headed back down and Alex never stopped chatting the entire way.  I have no idea what he was talking about, but "everything" pretty much sums it up.  About 2/3 of the way down he tripped and scraped his knee.  After quite a few tears, a little blood, and some band aids he was good to go.  Within a few minutes we had this conversation:

Alex, "Daddy?"
Me, "Yes Alex?"
Alex, "What is the tallest mountain the world?"
Me, "That would be Mount Everest."
Alex, "I want to hike that mountain next!"

So I guess the scraped knee was long in the forgotten past!  While I don't think I am up for Mount Everest in the near future, I told him we need to work up to it and tomorrow we were going on a bigger hike.  I told him we could hike Hedgehog or Potash.  As expected, "Hedgehog" is what he chose - based on the name only.

We got to the truck around 4:30 and found out Denise had been waiting for 2.5 hours!  Alex and I had a great time and he was psyched up for our next hike!

Now I must explain a new term I made up on that hike.  And that is the "Flip Flopper".  A Flip Flopper is one who hikes a trail who is seriously unprepared and completely out of their element.  While they wear flip flops very often, not always.  Designer jeans are a good clue as are glitzy purses. Absolutely no pack much less any evidence of a water bottle are also common.  When I see these people I want to smack them around, what are they doing?!?!  Sometimes I think people should need to a license to hike.  I think it is great for people to get outdoors and experience what the outdoors has to offer.  But you must be prepared and understand and respect the environment you get yourself into.  I don't know how many times I hear about a lost hiker being rescued on New Hampshire mountains due to quite frankly: idiocy.  The worst Flip Flopper I saw on this trip was a young family - or at least a man and woman who were in their early 20s although the "man" looked maybe 15.  They had 2 young kids around age 1 and 3.   I think the woman had a pack, but what really got me was he was carrying nothing except a stroller.  Yes a STROLLER and we ran into them about a half mile up the trail.  The older girl was walking and the lady was carrying the younger one on her hip.  Huh?  A stroller?  Now what in the heck is a stroller going to do for you on a hiking trail up the side up a 3500 foot mountain??  Maybe I should have stopped and told them what they were getting into and encourage them to turn around.  But it was non of my business and I just shook my head and continued on down.

And thus was born the term, "Flip Flopper" - other than Mt Monadnock I dont think I have ever seen that many Flip Floppers in one place at one time.   They might as well put up a neon sign at the trail head that says, "Attention all Flip Floppers and Pink Hats - please put your life at risk so our tax payers can pay to come save your buts!"   Even the trailhead sign said, "a 2.5 hour walk".  "Walk?"  "Walk?"  It is a hike up over roots and rocks with moderate to steep elevation gains.  A "walk" implies something you can bring a stroller on!  Shame on the WMNF for not making it clear to these morons to first take a trip to an outdoors store and get prepared before entering the area.  Enough said, I think I will keep a Flip Flopper count on all future hikes.

(had no camera so no photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment